Father Julian Tenison Woods


> Father Julian Tenison Woods

Father Woods Tree / Father Woods Park.

Mary MacKillop first met Father Julian Tenison Woods while working in Penola as a governess for her Uncle Alexander Cameron and Aunt Margaret (nee MacKillop).

It was Father Woods who inspired Mary's devotion to the education of all children regardless of wealth and social standing, and in 1866, they co-founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart.

In his role as parish priest of the south-eastern district of South Australia, Father Woods was able to combine his devotion to God's work with his interest in science and nature.

This area of land on the original Limestone Ridge Station was a favourite stop-over during his travels across his parish, and he could often be found preparing sermons, celebrating Mass and rejoicing in the splendour of his natural surrounds beneath the shelter of the towering River Red Gums.

Be inspired by Mary MacKillop's journey along the early path to sainthood

Maps  |  Site by Genesis Creative